Friday, May 8, 2009

An Analysis of Beijing Traffic

Firstly, I'm sorry I've turned into a terrible blogger. I hope I will make this up to you. I cannot promise such things you.

But here's something to interest you for now:

Beijing Traffic Lesson: Left Turn

Traffic rules-mayhem* is one of the more fascinating-bewildering-exasperating** aspects of China. I continuously assert that traffic in Beijing is comparatively tame to other places I've been in China, namely Hangzhou and Kunming. In Hangzhou taxi drivers regularly challenged oncoming traffic in opposing lanes to pass cars (in speeds in excess of 40 mph). I dreaded taking taxis in the city for the activation of danger-response chemicals in my body. In Beijing on the other hand, taxi drivers usually do not drive in speeds excess of 30mph, and everything moves in a generally more leisurely fashion. But do not mistake leisured pace for order. Crossing the streets demands awareness of maybe 4-5 traffic flow patterns--and that's when you have a green walk-light. You have to watch for right-turning vehicles on both sides, left-turners, u-turners, rogue bicycles/scooters/motorbikes crossing when they don't have the light, etc. And don't forget not to collide with any pedestrians or two/three-wheel traffic moving in the opposite direction.

* I think I'll coin this compound word for describing aspects of China...because it is really a place of duality and contradiction, where there are rules, there is also mayhem.

** another compound

No comments: